Thursday, February 26, 2009

Stepping on Toes


God has a creative way of doing things.


Here in Ukraine, the appearance of your footwear is VERY important. Your shoes should be polished and shined prior to leaving your house--every time. I haven't learned its full cultural significance, but it's obviously important in this country.


Well...walking in the winter weather and riding on crowded public transportation don't always make it easy. In fact, I've committed the "sin," at least twice, of stepping on someone's shoes as I try to jockey for a position on a packed bus as it rapidly pulls away from the curb. I have learned the Russian word for "to apologize," so I try to use it as I absorb the penetrating stare of disgust from my offended bus companion.


So, the second time I did it, I was quite surprised when the offendee responded with "That's okay." Yep. English. :) I waited a minute as I formed the question in Russian -- "do you speak English?" and then delivered it to her. Her answer was "yes," followed by a conversation about my reason for being in Kiev and more. We both happened to get off at the same bus stop and she was interested in talking further, so we exchanged cell phone numbers and promised to connect. Which we did.


Long story short -- she's now my language helper. I am very grateful for Liza and truly feel that she was given to me inspite of stepping in the wrong place. (I'm just really glad I didn't put my foot in my mouth, too! :) )


No comments: